The mindset of command-and-control that dominated 20th century management does not enable the speed and flexibility required in today's dynamic business environment. CrossLead prepares managers to lead through influence, drive common purpose across silos, empower self-organizing teams, and create a culture of organizational learning.
The CrossLead methodology is predicated on our Founder and CEO’s experience in the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC). During his time serving in JSOC he was part of a large transformation effort where this highly successful organization found itself operating in a complex, unpredictable environment – an environment where its smaller, nimbler adversary thrived. By reinventing its operating structure, JSOC centralized communication channels to enable shared consciousness and decentralized decision-making to empower those on the ground. Operators closest to problems were given the contextual understanding and authority required to solve them and to do so quickly.
The CrossLead methodology is a model of leadership behaviors and skills paired with operational processes and best practices that create a culture of organizational learning and a growth mindset. This model centers on four organizational capabilities that enable companies to adapt and thrive in complex operating environments.
Trust and Common Purpose are the foundations of any high-performing team.
Trust is the foundation that supports the development of authentic relationships within a team. It’s what allows people to collaborate and share information freely with their coworkers. Trust creates an environment where teammates can focus solely on the task at hand rather than wasting valuable time and energy protecting themselves or doubting others. However, trust alone is not enough to establish a team, let alone one that is high performing. Every team or organization exists to accomplish something. Common purpose is what transforms a group of free agents into a cohesive and orderly team aligned around a shared set of goals and values. When common purpose is absent there is a lack of motivation, employees are aggravated and not committed, and there is a lack of emotional connection to the organization.
Use the CrossLead Platform to increase Trust and drive Common Purpose.
- Leverage the CrossLead Platform to share information across functional silos
- Trust employees with the open, honest, and transparent communication
- Use the Plans feature to align the organization towards one overarching common purpose
- Communicate the vision, mission, and values, and inform key stakeholders so they understand direction and priorities
- Show cross-functional dependencies across departments and highlight the interconnectivity of each line of effort
- Visualize and understand how each team’s work is contributing to the overarching company goals
Increase Shared Consciousness and empower employees to make better and faster decisions.
Creating Shared Consciousness within a team or organization is critical to an organization’s success in today’s fast-paced environment. Leaders must practice the art of sharing information widely and providing Situational Awareness to their teams so all employees develop a common perception of the operating environment. With better information sharing and situational awareness, employees can be equipped with the most up-to-date information to make the best decision possible. Typically, the person closest to the problem is in the best position to solve the problem. Empowered Execution is the system of decentralizing managerial authority to the lowest effective level. It’s the solution to traditional hierarchies and bureaucracy. For successful Empowered Execution to occur, managers must exhibit the right behaviors and share information openly with their employees to ensure that each decision maker possesses the most relevant context. Additionally, individuals must step up to own the new decision-making responsibility. Empowerment allows people to fulfill their human desire for achievement while most effectively using their abilities to serve the goals of their organization.
Use the CrossLead Platform to create Shared Consciousness and empower employees.
- Leverage Insights to share important and relevant information, best practices, and lessons learned
- Drive transparency and shared context by allowing employees to stay up to date and informed on key events from other teams or departments
- Mention colleagues to promote further cross-functional connections
- Allow employees to make better decisions with more up-to-date information, additional context or guidance from leadership